Monday, September 2, 2013

Top of the Cities: What Was I Doing All the Way Up There?

The other day as I was standing on Piazzale Michelangelo in Florence, looking down at the stunning city below, I had a strange sense of deja vu. For someone who is so terrified of heights, I sure do like to get high.

By now I've done it in a number of cities on five different continents, in one case (Dubai, site of Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world), going as high as I could possibly go, and in another (New York City, where I spent years working on the 31st and 35th floors of the Time & Life Building), turning ascension into a daily ritual. And then there have been all of the stunning views in between.

Here's a pictorial travelogue of some of my holiday highs from the last seven years, since I left New York City on September 15, 2006 (minus Machu Picchu in Peru, whose photos were lost forever when the camera containing them was stolen shortly after my 2008 visit). Astonishingly enough, the Teen People offices on the Time & Life Building's 35th floor were as high as I ever got in Manhattan, never having climbed to the top of either the Empire State Building or the World Trade Center's Twin Towers, back when they were still with us.

Which expat view do you like best?

Bangkok, Thailand

Bogotá, Colombia
  
Buenos Aires, Argentina
 
Büyükada, Turkey

Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hamburg, Germany

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Lima, Peru

New York City

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Rome, Italy

Sydney, Australia

No comments: