Saturday, April 4, 2009

BURNING QUESTIONS

Today I was listening to a compilation of hits by the Supremes, one of the biggest U.S. groups of the rock & roll era, and second only to the Beatles in the 1960s. As "Where Did Our Love Go" played, I wondered, Why aren't there more cover versions of Supremes songs? The only hit covers of Supremes songs that I can think of off the top of my head are by UK acts: "You Can't Hurry Love" by Phil Collins (No. 10 US, No. 1 UK, 1982), the aforementioned "Where Did Our Love Go" by Soft Cell (No. 8 US, No. 1 UK, 1983), "Stop In The Name Of Love" by the Hollies (No. 29 US, 1983), and "You Keep Me Hangin' On" by Kim Wilde (No. 1 US, No. 2 UK, 1986). And my all-time favorite Supremes cover: "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" by the late Brit-soul legend Dusty Springfield.

Why is it that whenever I compliment the physical appearance of a straight guy in front of a straight girl, she always points out that the guy is straight? Do we do the same thing when straight girls compliment gay guys? When I rave about the unbelievable beauty of, say, Cate Blanchett, does anyone say, "But she's a girl?" It's not like I'm angling to jump into bed with every cute guy I see. Well, maybe I am, but believe me, alleged straightness does not rule that out.

Whatever happened to Bridget Fonda? I was recently reading old posts on my new favorite blog, The Film Experience, and the diva obsessed Nathaniel Rogers wondered the same thing. He also prayed that Bridget's Aunt Jane would get one more great role -- and perhaps a eighth Oscar nomination? -- for the road. Coming one day: a post on great missing-in-action actresses.

Why did my friend Lori dream about Robert Redford the other night? I'll have to remember to ask her tomorrow when we leave for the weekend in Colonia, Uruguay.

Why is it so much tougher to pack for one or two days than it is for one week? Playing favorites with my shirts and trousers is such hard work.

Why do Argentines always insist on taking a sip of your drink in bars and clubs and then offering it to their friends? I'm not so keen on sharing a straw with people I do know, much less total strangers.

I'm watching an old episode of Friends (the one after Monica and Chandler got engaged -- the show is always on in South America), and I'm asking myself, Why was Courteney Cox the only regular never to receive an Emmy nomination? Bad acting (I don't think so) or playing a slightly annoying character. It sure didn't hurt one-time Oustanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series nominee David Schwimmer (not bad acting, playing a slightly annoying character).

No comments: