Thursday, June 26, 2008

A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHT


Everyone's a philosopher these days! I was never big on instant messaging until I moved to Argentina, where, for many people of a certain age, it seems to be the only way they know how to communicate. Lately, I've noticed a lot of my under-30 MSN "friends" have been adding phrases and sayings (here in BA, they call them "nicknames") after their screen names. Normally, I don't pay too much attention to these other than to notice that they're pretty sappy and cliché. So I'm not sure why a particular one the other day caught my attention for more than a few seconds. It said, "Las cosas más hermosas del mundo, no pueden ser vistas, ni tocadas. Simplemente se sienten en el corazón." Translation: The most beautiful things in the world can't be seen nor touched. They are simply felt in the heart.

(Let's pause for a moment while the violin plays and I dab a tear from my eye.)

True enough, but...duh. When did IM switch from being a forum for scintillating (insert sarcastic face here) "What's up?"..."Not much" conversation and become a channel for sharing fortune-cookie sentiments? Lately, everyone has taken to posting commentary on heaven, heartache and the power of love. Alas, the depth of expression ends there. When it comes to the IM'ing part--you know, the real communication--it's business as usual.

"What's up?"

"Not much. Now excuse me while I press 'uninstall.'"

VIDEO Morrissey: "Our Frank"


No comments: